Tuesday, July 14, 2009

My room

I'm kinda nervous to show you the room where I do my artsy-crafty thing.

Why?

Because it's a mess right now. It's the spare room, so there's a bed with tons of books, luggage and clothing that needs organized on top of it. There are boxes of things that SHOULD be in the closet. There are books (did I say this already?) EVERYWHERE.

And because of this, I've started just grabbing what I need/want and taking it somewhere else to work on in another part of the house. I know this is NOT the best solution, and it is by no means permanent, but it works--I still get things done with a messy room.

Obviously the best part of my time would be used CLEANING the room, before I scrap, but I have some deadlines. And those aren't changing. So really, the only option is to work around it.

But I think I'm making progress. I went into the room over the weekend and hung up a new addition (will post about that later), then started going through and sorting things. I have a feeling that I'll need to use multiple garbage bags. The good news is that the bookcrossing books I have will become more organized, prompting me to find them easier to read and release (yay!). The good news is that the clothes and luggage will be put away in their proper places (again, Yay!).

And, if that wasn't incentive enough, I'll actually be able to create in the room reserved for it--which means less mess throughout the house (double YAY!). Just think of all the time I'll save getting all of this taken care of, right?

Yes, that has to start motivating me. Okay, so the plan is to get done with chores tonight, maybe work on some crafty stuff...but then, do SOMETHING in the spare room. Yes.... Hopefully I can get one whole component finished by the weekend. I'll keep you updated.

Question: How do you control clutter? Does your room tend to get things from all over the house in it? How do you cope?

1 comment:

Anne said...

Hi, Nicole! Clutter is a never-ending battle! I will admit I've gotten behind ... and it seems like a huge mountain of clutter around here. Sometimes the best thing is to set a timer for 30 minutes and just attack and see what you get done. Then let yourself play for the next 30 minutes and have fun in the clean space. Don't try to do it all at once! Maybe take before and after photos so you can see your progress! Good luck! :-)