Wednesday, July 29, 2009

492

I just got done with my first 'Craft for Hire' project.

The number in the title of this post is how many pieces I had to provide. 492 diecuts.

Luckily, my Cricut made short work of the whole process. And I'm making 4 more pieces for her.

I didn't know what to charge. There were 3 sizes of diecuts, in 4 colors and the breakdown is as follows:
96 small diecuts x 4 different colors == 384
18 medium diecuts x 4 different colors ==72
9 large diecuts x 4 different colors ==36
--------------------------------------------------
492 total pieces.

Now, they provided some of their own paper for the project, and I used my Cricut. But I used a mat to nearly pieces and popped in a new blade. I spent maybe $2 total on cardstock that they needed, most other I used was from my stash. The person did provide a big thing of leftover cardstock from a pack they purchased, but I just used a few of the colors and plan on giving them back the rest of the colors. If they need future stuff.

I mean, I set prices at work for items, and I can usually look at something in the store and tell you how much it probably costs from the vendor. On my own stuff, I'm always trying to make sure the person is happy with the price. When I did scarves, they were really cheap. I probably lose money this way, but I like thinking that people get a good deal and walk away happy.

How do you deal with pricing goods? Do you have an online system or in your head system that works? Do you not deal with it because there is an online site you use that handles things? I was thinking of pricing the small ones at $0.02, the medium at $0.03 and the large for $0.05 and multiply that by 2. That's around the $22-$24 mark. I told the woman $15 or $20, whatever she thought was fair. And I'm cool with that. I think once I get a little more confident with what I'm making, prices shouldn't be a big deal.

Pros
Got to use my Cricut and learn how to work the software
Went through some stash
Got to go shopping for extra cardstock
Changed my Cricut blade (it DEFINITELY needed it)

Cons
Broke a mat (down to 8 now, darn, LOL)
Lots of cardstock scraps (need to get a trash can in the room where I scrap/craft)
Bought a few 'extras' at the shop when searching for cardstock

And to think of it, my cons aren't even that bad, so really, it's cool. Just watching my budget for the next couple of weeks. I've bought way too much lately, and I need to have a massive cleaning and inventory before I can conceiveably buy more stuff. After all, if I don't know I have it, I can't use it, right?

I'm really happy I took on the project. I learned what my Cricut E can do. I learned how I can work with the computer and the Cricut, so I got to use my design work. I also got to use some of the tricks I've learned on the Pink Stamper, through watching her videos.

Overall, it's a WIN!

No comments: