Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Blogging for Scrapbookers: Prompt Three

Prompt Three is involving a post of favorites, so I decided to post about my 5 favorite books. I'm working on a layout to go with this, but can't wait any longer... So I'm just posting the list...
No particular order...

The Melancholy Death Of Oyster Boy and other stories by Tim Burton is a cute, odd and fun book--similar to the style of Edward Gorey. It can be bleak at times, but really, it's just something that sticks in your mind. It's obviously not for everyone, but I looked forever for this edition and finally snagged it and was so happy when I got it. It's a popular, but hard-to-find edition. If you're a fan of Burton's work, you'll like this one.


A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith is something I read every year, and have since I was about ten. I remember watching the movie with my Mom and then on my own, and it's just a book that seems to keep me on an even keel. It taught me humility, and that it was okay to have my own thing going on. It taught me that there are people that have things worse than I ever did and still managed to keep up their spirits. It's just lovely, and I had a lot in common with Francie (even reading ALL library books).


Prep: A Novel by Curtis Sittenfeld is almost autobiographical, and I've spoken with other people who feel the same way about this author. She's managed to get me involved with sympathizing with Laura Bush (American Wife) as well as transport me back into my high school/college days with Prep. I am in love with this novel, it's the debut that made me want to read each and every thing this writer ever writes. I love when you get inside of a character.




A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving is the book everyone calls Irving's best and I think that, in itself, made me not want to read it. However, I loved Garp and I loved Hotel New Hampshire and even Widow for One Year, but this one felt a little different and almost like a fine chocolate. It's the first book in a long time I couldn't just start and finish. I kept savoring it, and really, it was fantastic. People read it a lot younger than I did (this year).but I think I appreciated it more because I was older.


The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald is another book that is considered a 'classic' that I just read over the summer. Now, I've always been a reader and usually in the faster/higher reading classes in school, but this was not given as a requirement to our class. How terrible that I missed this treasure, but I think, when I was younger, I wouldn't have appreciated this. I saw the film and loved it (Robert Redford was perfect for Gatsby!), and devoured this short novel, then picked up 'The Love of the Last Tycoon' which is also fantastic.

Now you've read my favorite list, what about yours? What are your 5 favorite books?

No comments: