Friday, November 20, 2009

A New Chapter

We're about halfway to 2/3 of the way into the new house--of course, it's going to be weeks before I get my books and crafty stuff the way I like it, but we're closer to being in the house. The internet and satellite people are at the house today, getting that all taken care of--yay! I will have internet and tv, I can finally catch up on Top Chef and Sons of Anarchy (weird combo, I know).

So the new house is happy and fun and I'm loving it. I'm not loving being sick, I've still got a bit of a cough (Thank you to Tylenol, I slept last night--some kind of minty syrup that allowed me to sleep and not cough all night--yay!). And there's a full weekend.

There's also online classes. I'm taking Jessica Sprague's new class, and I'll have another post on that later--I'm actually going to be focusing on Shimelle's class "Blogging for Scrapbookers." I signed up a little late for the party (what's new, right?) because of the house thing (we put in an offer on a sunday and by that friday--5 days later--we had keys) and NaNoWriMo (and the novel in a month might not happen this month, kids) and the various birthdays and functions I had to show up to this month--well, let's just say that I'm noticing that I overschedule things a LOT!

So I kept hedging about whether or not I would have time to take Shimelle's class--the cost is only $15, and you DEFINITELY get your money's worth in a Shimelle class as I'm learning. And really, I've always wanted to take a Shimelle class, because she's fabulous. Love her style and the way her personality shines through the photos. So yesterday, I finally admitted to myself that NaNo probably wouldn't happen and I wanted to do something for myself. Plus, we're being laid off at this time next month (which means I'm going to California early) just before Christmas but returning at New Years, and I probably won't have the funds to take another class at the end of 2009/beginning of 2010--so I needed a darn treat! I've been moving without complaining in the midst of coughing up a lung and not sleeping because of said cough (sorry, I don't mean to vent, but darn it, I deserve this class!).

So back to the class. Or rather, back to the reason why I need this class. I've said before that I've never really been to a crop, officially.
  • I've had people bring crafty things to book group and we make bookmarks or cards or something.
  • I participated in an online crop or online crafty thing where we chatted a bit and then tried to make things, etc.
  • I've been to Archiver's and set out a few things to work on, but it was mostly at non-peak times where it was just me, and I left when people started filtering into the room (because I thought it was a class and it turned out not to be)...
So what can you draw from this? That while I have creative friends, we don't craft together. YOU and the people I meet via blogs or on various boards are my creative people. I can share scrapbooking with YOU! I can show you cards and all sorts of crafty things that i don't normally share with others. And you don't understand how much that means to me--how much YOU mean to me. So thank you, first of all, for being around. And I want to take this time to apologize. I read and check all of your blogs, but I don't reply as often as I should, so I'm going to work on that.

And the blog will be changing, in a good way. I've been thinking of turning the address of GothamGal.net into a splash page, but retaining this blogspot account, as well as my book review and book crossing journals for links, but I'm not 100% committed to the idea yet, so that's where we're at at this moment. Look for new posts soon--like, possibly in the next day or even tonight, if I get inspired (which ISN'T hard to do when you're doing a Shimelle class, I've learned).

Happy Creating!

2 comments:

The Scrappy Tree said...

Enjoying reading your blog! I was a late joiner to Shimelle's class too, and absolutely agree that you get your moneysworth :)
Couldn't agree more with your comment about valuing your online creative buddies, and look forward to seeing more of your blog :)
Gayle (at The Scrappy Tree)

Anne said...

Hi, Nicole! So happy for you! I hope you and yours have a terrific holiday season and make lots of wonderful new memories in your new home! :-)