Friday, August 17, 2007

A Meaningful Title

A Roof of One's Own... If you've spent any length of time looking at my site, you might wonder why I chose that particular title.
First, let me ask you what the phrase 'A Roof of One's Own' reminds you of. Well?
The first thing I think of is a "Room of One's Own." Virginia Woolf once said all a woman needed was a Room of One's Own and the money to live for a year in order to become a writer...or something like that.
You might also think of a city high-rise, complete with a rooftop garden or filled with people for an elegant New Year's Eve party.
Whatever the case, A Roof of One's Own is what I got when we moved to the new house. There's a door leading out to a small rooftop perfect for whatever I might want to do with it. The best part is that I've been given carte blanche to do whatever I want with it. I went out there to sit and think, brainstorming for my script. I also sat out there and felt the soft breeze, the sun warming my toes. You can see rooftops and trees and all manner of city life from this rooftop, from this vantage point, anything looks possible.
And that, my friends, mirrors life. Anything is possible. Learn this, live this, make this your new mantra. Anything is possible. Believe it, and great things will transpire.
This is particularly important when writing or creating something meaningful. Anything is possible because you are creating it. I tend to think creativity is serendipitous for the most part, as things you might not think look good together come together at the end in an inspiring combination.
Think about your latest project. Have you actively thought of this? Has anything been possible, or have you set limits? Has that changed your flow? Has that changed your intent? Look inward, and you shall find all of the answers you seek.

No comments: